The Cadillac Hotel
Address: 319 Second Avenue South
Date Built: 1889
Original Architect/Builder: James W. Hetherington and
Description: A three-story Victorian Italiante brick
commercial hotel building, located within the Pioneer Square
Historic Seattle's Role:
Historic Cadillac Hotel / King County Archives
The Cadillac Hotel was badly damaged by the February 28, 2001
earthquake, and at risk for demolition due to high rehabilitation costs. In
September 2001, Historic Seattle stepped forward with an
alternate engineering plan that would preserve the building,
and lay the foundation for a long term preservation project.
Historic Seattle brought together an expert team to consider
the feasability of the complex project, while at the same time,
began negotiations with the property owner. These efforts led to the purchase and subsequent preservation of the building by Historic Seattle.
Current and Future Uses:
The Cadillac Hotel / Photo: Marissa Natkin
The Cadillac Hotel now serves as the permanent home for the National Park Service's Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park. Ground and first floors of the building house exhibits commemorating and preserving the story of the rush to the Yukon gold fields in 1897-98. More information regarding the Klondike Gold Rush can be found at www.nps.gov/klse/
The rehabilitation work to the Cadillac included repair and restoration of original wood frame windows, exterior masonry walls, seismic reinforcement consisting of steel brace frames on the east, west and south elevations, parapet reconstruction, wall ties, additional roof and floor sheathing, and new interior shear and load bearing framing. In addition the building received a new roof, skylights and storefront windows and doors. The property was also fully improved to meet current building, life safety and energy code requirements.
See the Cadillac Hotel Sketch-up Model