Historic Seattle Celebrated Good Shepherd Center Centennial
Celebration Highlighted Success of Historic Preservation
Historic Seattle, the owner and manager of the Good Shepherd Center in Wallingford, honored the 100th anniversary of the opening of the building with a free community celebration on Sunday, July 22, 2007.
Over 300 people attended the festive gathering and enjoyed a variety of period entertainments in the building and on the grounds that responded to the theme "Come Back to 1907.” Live period music, costumed guests, an informative history brochure, balloons, ice cream, and lemonade made the afternoon a great success.
- A standing room crowd of over 200 people watched City Council member Peter Steinbrueck cut the ribbon to inaugurate the rehabilitated fourth floor Chapel as a performing arts space.
- Musician David Paul Mesler played American music of the period by Scott Joplin, Stephen Foster, Louis Gottschalk, Edward MacDowell, Charles Ives, and others during a brief musical concert in the Chapel.
- The Ballard Sedentary Sousa Band entertained the guests both before and after the program.
- Special thanks to the volunteers from the Goodwill Vintage Fashion for their stylish rendition of 1900 fashion
- Thanks also to volunteers from the Wallingford Senior Center and Boy Scout Troop #125 for helping with logistics.
- Thank you also to the wonderful Historic Seattle volunteers that helped make the program a success: Bruce Jones, event manager; John DeRosa, Ron & Lynn Moore, and Ann Gillespie.
For those unable to attend, Historic Seattle has PDF files of its commemorative program and brochure online.
On Sunday,, July 22 nd the Seattle times ran a story about the celebration. Check out the story at “Party to celebrate as Good Shepherd building turns 100," by Susan Gilmore, Seattle Times staff reporter.