The Cadillac Hotel
- Address: 319 Second Avenue South
- Date Built: 1889
Architect/Builder: James W. Hetherington and Clements.
- Description: A three-story Victorian Italiante brick commercial hotel building, located within the Pioneer Square Preservation District
Historic Seattle's Role:
The Cadillac Hotel was badly damaged by the February 28, 2001 earthquake, and at risk for demolition due to the costs involved in a rehabilitation plan which would save the building. In September of 2001, Historic Seattle stepped forward with an alternative engineering plan that would preserve the building, and lay the foundation for a long term preservation project. Historic Seattle brought together an expert team to consider the feasability of the complex project, while at the same time, began negotiations with the property owner which eventually led to a sale and preservation by Historic Seattle.
Current and Future Uses:
The building had been vacant for many years except for the Fenix Underground nightclub on the lower floors, when it was acquired by Historic Seattle. Plans call for converting the second and third floors to office use, and developing the ground floor and basement as the permanent new home of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park. The ground floor will include an auditorium with direct street access for after hours use by community and other groups. Construction is expected to start in summer 2003, and the building re-opened about a year later. Financing is expected from a commercial lender, the City of Seattle, historic rehabilitation tax credits, and the National Park Service. Stickney Murphy Romaine architects head the project design team.