- Address: 1117 Minor
- Date Built: 1907
Architect/Builder: Henry Dozier.
Owners: Henry H. Dearborn
- Description: American foursquare with Classic embellishments
Historic Seattle's Role:
In 1997, through a generous patron donation, Historic Seattle received the funding to acquire the Dearborn House for its offices. Currently it is only one of four remaining significant homes on First Hill. A residence until 1953, the home was then converted to professional offices and occupied by a succession of medical practitioners.
Henry H. Dearborn (1844-1909) was an East Coast investment banker and real estate developer who played an instrumental role in Seattle's early period of growth. He saw value in the development of the tide flats and influenced the direction of the transcontinental railroad being built south of the city's core.
Dearborn had particular tastes and strong ideas for his elegant home on First Hill. His vision was fulfilled by architect Henry Dozier, who created an American foursquare-style home with Classic embellishments. Unique details of note include upward turned metal roof eaves and stucco exteriors.
Current and Future Uses:
Currently, the Dearborn House functions as the permanent administrative offices for Historic Seattle. The exterior of our signature property has been rejuvenated, thanks to funding by the Washington State Historical Society Heritage Fund. The work included repairs to wood trim, stucco, and decorative metal detailing on the house, and the exterior was completely repainted to represent historically accurate colors thanks to heritage architect Donald Luxton's paint analysis. The exterior project was completed in 2003. Stickney Murphy Romine Architects provided design services and Rafn Company was the general contractor.
In 2004 additonal improvements wer made to the house including installation of a vertical platform lift. The next phase of work serving the ground and first floors and the creation of an ADA compliant accessible bathrooom on the first floor. Funding has been committed by the Heritage Fund and Cultural Development Authority.
Renovation and upgrades are now completed on the second and third floors, which added necessary office space, thus allowing for greater community accessibility. Future goals for its use include: housing the Patsy MacKay Memorial Historic Preservation Library; housing the Northwest Center for Architectural Preservation; becoming a venue for educational programming; serving as a model for historic preservation; serving as an incubator for preservation thought and action; and operating as a facility for public use by community groups.