Fire Station #18
- Address: 5427 Russell Way Northwest
- Date Built: 1911
Architect/Builder: Firm of Bebb and Mendel.
Owners: City of Seattle.
- Description: Red brick construction, designed in a modified Germanic style evident by its stepped gables, large overhanging eaves, and wooden brackets on the sides of the building.
Historic Seattle's Role:
After being declared surplus property by the City of Seattle, Historic Seattle acquired Ballard Fire House No. 18 from the city in September 1976, for the purpose of complete renovation and economic adaptive reuse. The Fire Station, originally built for horse-drawn fire engines, is noteworthy for its early sophisticated engineering, brick massing, and architectural style. Station No. 18 was in continuous use for 63 years--longer than any other fire station in Seattle. Historic Seattle, with Eric Anderson as project architect, fully restored the building's exterior. The interior was rehabilitated jointly between Historic Seattle and the tenant. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places
Current and Future Uses:
Fire Station No. 18, remains a significant focal point of the Ballard neighborhood. The building is currently used as a restaurant and offices.